Fort Benning website welcome banner and header

ASD logo
Welcome to The MPD's Personnel Operations Branch!

Click on a heading below to view the section

Welcome to the MPD's Soldier Readiness Processing Section!


Welcome to theSoldier Readiness Processing Work Center where our mission is to provide quality service to the Commanders, and Soldiers who work in support of the Global War on Terrorism. The military personnel operates stations to support the ADMIN portions of Soldier Readiness Processing for Fort Benning units.

Q: Who do I see about Family Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (FSGLI)?

Family Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (FSGLI) is a program extended to the spouses and dependent children of members insured under the SGLI program. Soldiers should contact the Fort Benning Military Personnel Records section - building 2620 in Soldier’s Plaza to complete the appropriate documents for coverage.

Q: Why do I need a trustee or custodian?

In all states, children (under the age of 18) are not legally entitled to own outright a significant amount of property. They are not considered as adults and old enough to responsibly manage it, just as they can not vote until they are 18. So, an appointed adult or trustee is a good idea to have for assistance with estate issues. Also, Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) will not write a check to a minor.

Q: How can I get a copy of my TCS Orders?

You may access MOBCOP at to get a copy of your TCS Orders. You will need a Username and Password or a Common Access Card to retrieve the orders.

Welcome to the MPD's Retirement Services Section!


Welcome to the Retirement Service Work Center where our mission is to provide quality service to the Commanders and Soldiers assigned to Fort Benning. The Retirement Services Branch helps prepare Soldiers and their families for retirement and keeps Soldiers and their family members up-to-date on their rights, benefits, and privileges after retirement.

The family serves as a unit on active duty and will serve as a unit in retirement. Therefore, the retirement process, from start to finish, should be a family affair. The more a family understands military retirement, the less stressful the transition will be from military to civilian life. This will result in a more pleasant and successful military retirement.

Q: What is Survivor Benefit Plan? (SBP)

SBP was established in Sept 1972 so that retiring Soldiers could elect to provide the continuation of a portion of retired pay to their designated beneficiary. Retirees pay a monthly premium for SBP coverage with a percentage of their retired pay (6.5%). The SBP payment is deducted from retired pay before the retired pay is taxed -- it's a tax-free payment. Their beneficiary will receive 55% of the gross retirement pay in the event of their death. The law states that the spouse has to concur or non-concur with the retiring Soldier’s election.

Q: I had Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) for my spouse, who is now deceased. How do I stop the SBP premiums?

You will need a copy of his or her death certificate and must complete a DD Form 2656-6 (SBP Election Change Certificate) which can be obtained from the Retirement Service Office (RSO). You can choose to mail the documents to the DFAS-CL address listed on the form or the RSO can fax the documents for you. The SBP premiums will be stopped effective the first day of the month following your spouse’s death and throughout the period you do not have a spouse beneficiary.

Q: When can I submit my request for retirement?

An enlisted Soldier may submit his/her retirement application to the their S-1 Office at least 9 months prior, but not more than 12 months from the desired retirement date. The S-1 Office will sent the application to Retirement Services generic email ( The DA form 4187 must be signed by the company commander and the DA 4187-1-R, signed by the Brigade/Regiment Commander (0-6 or higher.

An officer may submit his/her complete retirement application as outlined in AR 600-8-24, chapter 6 at least 9 months prior, but not more than 12 months from the desired retirement date. All levels of the chain of command must submit a separate memorandum of recommendation. The officer will call the Retirement Services Officer for an appointment, no walk ins.

Q: I will complete 20 years of service on 13 December 2010. What will be my retirement date and when can I submit my request for retirement?

Your retirement date would be the first day of the following month you complete 20 years of Active Federal Service. You may submit your 4187 signed by the Company Commander and 4187-1-R signed by your Colonel (0-6) after 15 December 2010. You will be notified of your scheduled Pre-Retirement briefing by email.

Q: I am going through a divorce and have been married for 10 years. How much is my spouse entitled to?

There is not a set amount your spouse would be entitled to receive. Your divorce decree should specify the entitlement amount. The Former Spouse Protection Act states if you were married for ten years while on active duty for ten years, and your spouse is awarded a portion of your retired pay, then your spouse may apply to DFAS retired pay for the payment to be sent directly to him/her instead of you setting up an allotment for payment. This option is more advantageous to you as he or she will pay the taxes for the money received instead of you.

Q: I retired from Active Duty on 30 Sept 2008. When can I expect my first retirement check deposit to my account?

Your first payment for retired pay normally will arrive 30 days after your release from active duty, or on the first business day of the month (i.e. 1 November 2009). If, 1 November 2009 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, you will get your first check deposit on Friday before the weekend. Normally, in a separate mailing, you will receive a letter outlining the computation of payment. This will include your deductions for SBP, federal/state income tax, and all allotments.

Q: I usually receive a 1099 tax statement in the mail however, this year I did not receive one. Why wasn’t it mailed to me this year?

Defense Finance Accounting Service (DFAS) has initiated a myPay account for all retirees and should have mailed you a pin number. If your pin number has expired because you never used it or lost it, you can obtain a new one by visiting the nearest Active Duty Finance Office. The Retirement Service Office will be able to assist you in resetting a new pin number or you can contact DFAS yourself, please call 1-800-321-1080. With access to myPay, you can print out your 1099 tax statement.

Welcome to the MPD's Transition Section!


Welcome to the Transition Work Center where our mission is to provide quality service to the Commanders and Soldiers assigned to Fort Benning. This military personnel services function involves processing separations orders, separations documents (DD Forms 214 & 220), and trainee/student separations. Separation processing is a key link in the installation's transition services. The Army Career and Alumni Center Soldier for Life -Transition Assistance Program provides individualized assistance on resume preparation, job search, networking, and other skills - Soldiers may start this process 12 months prior to separation/retirement. The U.S. Department of Labor provides the Transition Assistance Program seminar (2 days). Veterans' Affairs (Bldg 2751) provides assistance with disability claims and other benefits. AG's Transition Center prepares the orders and separation documents for Soldiers.

Q: What is a DD Form 214?

A DD Form 214 is a summary of your current active duty service, awards, and schooling completed. Q: What documents are needed for my DD214 when I REFRAD?

An enlisted soldier will need a current ERB, and a copy of the initial DD Form 4-1, 4-2, 4-3 (if you were under Delayed Entry Program) for the current time period.

An Officer will need a current ORB, DA Form 71 (Oath of Office) and orders that accessed him/her to active duty.

Both Enlisted/Officers will need all prior DD Form 214s, DD Form 220’s (Report of active duty), and all awards and orders for overseas tours that are not listed on the ERB or ORB.

Q: When will I received my separation orders?

Enlisted Soldiers who are ETSing and Officers who are resigning will receive orders 60-90 days prior to the start of their separation date or start of transition leave. Soldiers being chaptered must report to the Battalion S1 to receive their orders.

Q: When will I receive my DD Form 214?

You will receive your DD Form 214 after receiving the final clearance stamp from the Installation out-processing center in building 35.

Q: If I lose my copy of the DD 214 how can I retrieve another?

A copy of the DD 214 should have been scanned to your OMPF. You may access AKO to view your OMPF and print a copy. If the DD 214 is not on your OMPF you must contact the nearest military Transition Center for them to retrieve a copy for you.