3rd Squadron, 16th Cavalry develops future leaders to command, lead and train Reconnaissance organizations and supports the training and preparation of Initial Entry Training Soldiers in order to enable our combined arms formations to defeat any threat and accomplish their mission in current and future conflict.
3rd Squadron 16th Cavalry History
The 3d Squadron, 316th Cavalry Brigade was constituted on 1 July 1916 in the Regular Army as Troop C, 316th Cavalry and organized on 14 July 1916 at Ft Sam Houston, Texas. The unit was later inactivated on 12 November 1921 at Ft Sam Houston, Texas.
The unit was re-designated on 15 June 1942 as Troop C, 316th Cavalry Mechanized and activated at Camp Forrest, Tennessee. The unit was re-organized and re-designated on 22 December 1943 as Troop C, 19th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron Mechanized.
The unit was inactivated on 10 November 1945 at Camp Campbell, Kentucky and absorbed on 1 August 1946 by Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 19th Cavalry Group Mechanized. The unit was later re-designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 19th Cavalry Group on 1 August 1946 at Ft Riley, Kansas.
The unit was re-designated on 2 January 1953 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 19th Cavalry Group in Germany and subsequently re-designated on 1 October 1953 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 19th Armored Cavalry Group. The unit was later inactivated on 1 July 1955 in Germany and consolidated on 2 July 1955 with Headquarters and Headquarters Company,316th Armor Group.
The former Troop C, 19th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron Mechanized was reconstituted on 1 March 1957 in the Regular Army as Troop C, 316th Cavalry. The unit was activated on 20 March 1970 in Vietnam. The unit was later inactivated on 26 February 1973 in Vietnam.
The unit was re-designated on 8 December 1992 as Headquarters, 3d Squadron, 316th Cavalry and concurrently transferred to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command. The unit was activated at Ft Knox, Kentucky.
The unit campaign participation in World War II includes "Rhineland" and "Central Europe." The unit campaign participation in Vietnam includes the "Winter-Spring 1970," "Sanctuary Counteroffensive," "Counter-Offensive Phase VII," "Consolidation I," "Consolidation II," and "Cease-Fire." The unit decorations include the Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm and the Army Superior Unit Award.
In 1963, the 316th Cavalry was redesignated as the 316th Armor. D Company, 316th Armor was the only active duty unit of the 316th Armor. The company served as one of the subordinate units of the 173rd Separate Airborne Brigade during hostilities in Vietnam from 1963-69. D/l6th Armor provided the anti-tank protection for the 173rd Bde. This was the only airborne tank unit at the time as well as the only separate Tank Company in the history of the army. The company was equipped with "Scorpions" which were air droppable Armored Personnel Carriers that were equipped with high velocity 90mm guns. From 1963 through 1969 DI1 6th Armor served in every campaign which the 173rd Airborne Bde fought in. During its service in Vietnam D/l6th Armor is credited with 16 Vietnam Campaign streamers as well as earning the Meritorious Commendation Medal for its valorous service. In 1969, 316th Armor reverted to the designation of 316th Cavalry and was inactivated. Reactivated in Vietnam on 20 March 1970, using the assets of D Troop (Air), 1st Squadron, 4th Cavalry (1st Infantry Division), the 316th Cavalry operated as a separate air cavalry troop of the 1st Aviation Brigade. Departing Vietnam on 26 February 1973, the unit was again inactivated. On 25 March, 1987, the 316th Cavalry was withdrawn from the Combat Arms Regimental System, reorganized under the U.S. Army Regimental System and transferred to the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine command as a parent Brigade for training units at Ft. Knox where the 6th Squadron was posted. In April 1993, the Brigade was reactivated as the Training and Training Support unit for all leader training conducted at the U.S. Army Armor School, Ft. Knox. Currently with three squadrons and a separate headquarters and headquarters troop the Brigade continues to train the leaders of the mounted force to fight and win on the modern battlefield.