Army Continuing Education System

Welcome to Fort Benning's ACES Homepage!

Army Continuing Education System

The Army Continuing Education System (ACES) Mission is to vigorously promote lifelong learning opportunities to sharpen the competitive edge of the Army by providing and managing quality self-development programs and services. Our vision is to revolutionize and lead Department of Defense education…Spearhead a lifelong learning culture to strengthen a mission ready force.  ACES is committed to excellence in education service, innovation and deployability.  In addition, ACES has been providing quality education support for over 50 years to Soldiers and their Family Members.

Part of ACES responsibilities includes the operation of the Education Center, the Basic Skills Education Program (BSEP), the Learning Center, and the Testing Center.  Here at Fort Benning, we are part of what is called the Fort Benning Hub.  The Hub concept incorporates the operations of ACES at Fort Benning, Fort Rucker, Redstone Arsenal, Camp Shelby, and Eglin AFB.

Army Education Center
Building 9230
8150 Marne Road
Fort Benning, GA 31905
(706) 545-7397
Customer Comments through ICE (Interactive Customer Evaluation)
  • Education Services
  • Common Numbers
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Additional Resources

Education Center

The Army Education Center provides assistance to Soldiers and their adult Family Members in developing long and short term educational/professional plans for personal development and growth. Education Counselors are available to assist with assessing strengths and promoting opportunities for growth based on interests and experience. On a daily basis, Education Counselors work with Soldiers on getting set up for and using their Tuition Assistance through the GoArmyEd portal, in-processing, out-processing, GI Bill questions, financial aid opportunities, local and non-local college information, degree plan options, and more. If it is related to college education, bring it to the Education Center and get questions answered.

BSEP (Basic Skills Education Program)


The Basic Skills Education Program (BSEP) provides tutored sessions to help Soldiers master mathematical, reading, and writing skills required by their Army jobs. Sometimes BSEP is also known as Functional Academic Skills Training (FAST). These courses vary in length and delivery, based on the needs and developmental level of the Soldier. Soldiers can enroll at any time as long as there is space available.

BSEP/FAST serves as a Commander's primary on-duty education program. While on duty, it is an opportunity for Soldiers to study and increase their education skills. Upon completion, Soldiers can re-take various Army personnel tests that can assist in changing MOS fields, applying for opportunities and programs such as Officer Candidate School, Warrant Officer School, Green-to-Gold, the Physician Assistant (PA) program, etc and other opportunities. Soldiers are also able to take the course using it as personal opportunity to further their personal educational goals and/or college readiness goals.

Learning Center

Learning Center

The Army Learning Center (ALC), also known as a Multi-functional Learning Facility (MLF) is a resource facility providing an integrated network of educational resources. It is also the home of the Basic Skills Education Program (BSEP). The ALC provides a wide variety of computerized and tutorial based instruction, as well as computer accessibility for internet access, Microsoft programs,and printing. ALC/MLF services are available to Military, Civilians, and adult Family Members.


Testing Center

Testing CenterThe Army Testing Center is home of testing services, to include both academic testing and Army personnel testing. Testing is done on an appointment basis and can be scheduled over the phone or in person. Some tests are scheduled regularly on specific dates. Testing services are mainly available for Soldiers; however, they can be made available for Family Members and Civilians.  

Testing Center Academic testing offered at the Testing Center includes DANTES exams: SAT, ACT, GED (Soldiers only), PRAXIS, TABE (The Adult Basic Education) test, PearsonVue (Professional Certification), and others. The Army Personnel Test (APT) that are available are: SIFT - Selection Instrument for Flight Training, AFCT - Armed Forces Classification Test, DLAB - Defense Language Aptitude Battery, DLPT - Defense Language Proficiency Test (call for current language options), and an OPI - Oral Proficiency Interview.

If interested in taking CLEP or DSST exams, please contact the local DANTES National Testing Center site managed by Troy University. The telephone number is: (706) 660-2318. GRE (Graduate Record Examination) and GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) are not offered at the Testing Center. However, Soldiers can call in regards to reimbursement details within 90 days of "receipt" of their score report to see if they are eligible.


Education Center (706) 545-7397 Bldg. 9230, Main Lobby
Basic Skills Education Program (706) 545-8096 Bldg. 9230, Room 1354
Army Learning Center (706) 545-7397 Bldg. 9230, Room 1401
Testing Center (706) 545-3708 Bldg. 9230, Room 1392

On-Post Colleges

Central Texas College (706) 682-7300 Bldg. 9230, Room 1320
Chattahoochee Valley Community College (706) 687-3420 Bldg. 9230, Room 1318
Columbus State University (706) 507-8825 Bldg. 9230, Room 1327
Columbus Technical College (706) 256-0843 Bldg. 9230, Room 1304
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University COMING SOON Bldg. 9230, Room 1306
Georgia Military College (706) 478-3143 Bldg. 9230, Room 1312
Troy University (706) 660-2331 Bldg. 9230, Room 1325
University of Maryland University College (706) 577-5749 Bldg. 9230, Room 1308
Vincennes University (706) 689-0098 Bldg. 9230, Room 1331

Fort Benning Hub Satellites

Fort Rucker (334) 255-2378 Fort Rucker, AL
Redstone Arsenal (256) 876-9761 Huntsville, AL
Camp Shelby (601) 558-2029 Hattiesburg, MS
Eglin Air Force Base (850) 882-4649 Eglin AFB, FL

How do I transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to my spouse?

If you are a member of the Armed Forces on August 1, 2009, the Department of Defense (DoD) may offer you the opportunity to transfer benefits to your spouse or dependent children. In order to transfer benefits to spouses and/or dependents, a Soldier must apply through the DoD transferability application website ( to determine if your dependents are eligible to receive the transferred benefits. After DoD has made the determination that your dependents are eligible to receive the transferred benefits, you must submit an “Application for Education Benefits” with the VA who will process the application and make payment.

Can my spouse use Tuition Assistance?

According to Army Regulation 621-5, Tuition Assistance is not available for spouses to use. However, the Education Center often has information available for spouses in regards to different programs that are available that do offer some funding assistance.

If I do not use my Tuition Assistance, can it be carried over to the next fiscal year? Or, if I do not use it, can it be transferred to my spouse?

In both cases, a Soldier's Tuition Assistance per fiscal year is only good for that year. This money cannot be transferred to spouses.

What do I need to do become an Officer?

To get the most current information in regards to becoming an Officer, visit the Education Center or go online to

Do you have a computer lab or a computer I can use?

As part of the Education Center’s services, the Army Learning Center (ALC) does have computers available for use. The ALC is located in Building 9230, Room 1401. Call (706) 545-7397 for hours of operation.

How do I receive credit for my military experience?

In order to get credit for military experience, you will need to get a Joint Services Transcript (JST) sent to the school that you are attending. You can do this by visiting the JST website at: Once your home school receives your JST, they will do an evaluation and award you credit where applicable.

Do you have any information on Green to Gold?

To get the most current information in regards to Green to Gold, visit the Education Center. The local school that offers Green to Gold is Columbus State University at (706) 507-8031 or (706)568-2449/ 2058.

What is Top-Up?

Top-up is used in conjunction with VA benefits. When TA does not cover the cost of a college course, then a Soldier can supplement the additional cost by using their GI Bill. Visit for further information.