Fort Benning website welcome banner and header

Fort Benning Historic Trail

Historical Site 1. Old Hospital Complex
Bldg 396 and surrounding complex. 7301 Baltzell Ave.
1925 with additions dating to 1930.

Old Hospital Complex

This complex of buildings was built between 1925 and 1930 and consists of 9 buildings connected by enclosed corridors. It was named simply, the “Station Hospital”. In 1925 it replaced the first hospital, which was a group of converted barracks on what is now Stilwell Field.  In 1958a larger, modern facility named Martin Army Hospital took over its role as the primary hospital, but the old Station Hospital continued with its medical duties as an outpatient clinic until 1975 when the main building (Bldg. 396) was converted into the National Infantry Museum.  In 2009 the NIM moved to its new facility, leaving the much of the complex vacant.  In 2009 the complex underwent a major rehabilitation and was restored much to its original appearance for its new tenant, WHINSEC, which moved in in 2010. 

Old Fort Benning Hospital  photo shows some of the temporary WWII wards around the Station hospital

Old Fort Benning Hospital - photo shows some of the temporary WWII wards around the Station hospital.

Old Fort Benning Hospital Photo 3

Old Fort Benning Hospital - WWII barracks to old NIM