Fort Benning website welcome banner and header

Fort Benning Historic Trail

Historical Site 5. Lafayette Monument
SE corner of Lumpkin Rd. and Sigerfoos Rd.

Daughters of the American Revolution Monument

The Lafayette Monument (formerly known as the “DAR Monument”) was built in 1926.  It consists of three bronze plaques mounted on a concrete pedestal.  This is the oldest monument on Fort Benning. The two local chapters of the Daughters of the American Revolution contributed the plaques and Fort Benning engineers built the concrete monument.  The plaques commemorate GEN Lafayette, Kasihta (Creek village) and the Battle of Hitchiti. 
The monument started as only the three plaques affixed to the old post flag pole base in the traffic circle at the Wold / Sigerfoos intersection.  This configuration was originally intended to be permanent, but for unknown reasons was completely changed within a few months:  Post Engineers built the present concrete pedestal on another traffic island, in the intersection of Lauber Ave and Sigerfoos St., and the 3 plaques were transferred.  In 1929 the monument was moved to its present location.

Daughters of the American Revolution Monument 1922 Daughters of the American Revolution Monument 1926-1929 Daughters of the American Revolution Monument 1981