Fort Benning website welcome banner and header

Fort Benning Historic Trail

Historical Site 8. Old Post Headquarters
Bldg 35. 35 Ridgeway Loop.

Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation (WHINSEC)

The most prominent and important historical building on Fort Benning is the old Post Headquarters and Infantry School.  Built in 1935 by a nationally known architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White.  It was Post Headquarters from 1946 to 1964 and served all functions of the Infantry School from 1935 – 1964.  After Bldg 4 assumed its former duties in 1964 it became administrative offices for DPW and others.  Later is housed WHINSEC.  Presently it is the in-processing and out-processing center of Fort Benning.

BLDG 35 - 1981 BLDG 35 - 2011