Fort Benning website welcome banner and header

Fort Benning Historic Trail

Historical Site 9. The Infantry Chapel
Bldg 101. 7070 Sigerfoos St.

The Infantry Chapel 1935

The Infantry Chapel was completed in April 1935 and was commended for serving three faiths instead of only one: Catholic, Protestant, Jewish.  It is a significant piece of church architecture designed by one of the most prestigious architectural firm of the South.  The architectural style is Georgia Colonial, which blends with Spanish Colonial Revival style and Second Renaissance revival styles of the most prominent buildings of Main Post.

The field is the “Field of Four Chaplains” and was before that called, “Chapel Field”.  It was the primary ceremonial field for Fort Benning during the 1950s, until the creation of York Field and Infantry hall in 1964.


Main Post Chapel 1954 Main Post Chapel 1981