Fort Benning website welcome banner and header

Fort Benning Historic Trail

Historical Site 11. Post Commander's Quarters, "Riverside"
Bldg 1. 100 Vibbert Ave.
Built 1909 and mid-1800s

Riverside

Riverside has been the residence of every Commanding General of Fort Benning.  It was built in two sections.  The kitchen section was a one-story community meeting house that preceded Fort Benning – perhaps in the mid-1800s.  When the land was purchased by gentleman-farmer Arthur Bussey in 1909, he moved the meeting house from its location near where Patch Hall is today, then built a large house in front of it, facing the main road (Lumpkin Road).  He added a second story to the former meeting house as living quarters for his cook.  The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. 

Also important is the wooded grounds around the house.  For generations this tree grove surrounded the main houses of this area.  It was an oasis in the midst the cleared cultivated fields and pastures that once covered the area now known as Main Post.

Historic 2012 photo of Riverside Photo of Riverside Millwork