Fort Benning website welcome banner and header

Fort Benning Historic Trail

Historical Site 12. Site of the Old Staff Judge Advocate building
Empty lot SE of Vibbert Ave. / Sigerfoos Rd. intersection.

Office of the Staff Judge Advocate 1927 rendering

On this site stood Building 5, the first permanent Post HQ building and later the Judge Advocate General (JAG) Building. Built in 1911 as a dairy creamery, it became the Officers’ Mess in 1919. In 1924 it became the Post HQ, headed by the Garrison Commander. Major tenants included: Infantry School HQ (until 1935), General Staff, Chaplain, legal offices, and Infantry Test Board. In 1964 the Post HQ relocated and it became the JAG Building. From 1948 to 2009, thousands of courts-martial were held here, including U.S. v. Calley (1971). Building 5 expanded several times during its 98-year existence. The 1911 creamery was a 50 x 75 foot brick building for a dairy farm.  In 1925, as Post HQ, a second brick building with connecting corridor was added.   WWII mobilization required more floor space.  In 1943, the brick buildings were merged and a large wing added, tripling the building’s size.  A courtroom was built within the wing in 1948. The building was destroyed by arson on Feb 6, 2009.
In 2010 interpretive sign and a seating area was built on the site by an Eagle Scout.

Office of the Staff Judge Advocate 1990 Office of the Staff Judge Advocate Office of the Staff Judge Advocate Aerial Plaque Office of the Staff Judge Advocate Hisotric Marker