Fort Benning website welcome banner and header

Fort Benning Historic Trail

Historical Site 18. The Cuartels
Bldgs 399, 73, 74, 17, 83, 76, 75. Entire area between Vibbert Ave., Wold Ave., Anderson St., and Gillespie St.
Built 1925 – 1935

Old picture of the Cuartels

The 3 large square groupings of buildings with central courtyards are known as the “Cuartels,” which is a Spanish word meaning, “barracks”.  These large, permanent buildings were a welcome improvement to the Soldiers’ previous accommodations of tents and wood buildings.  They were planned for in the early 1920s and fit into the street grid over a ten year period of construction.  Support buildings and rail lines were planned around them, making the Cuartels the heart of Main Post.  The largest of the Cuartels housed the largest unit – the 29th infantry Regiment.  Contrary to popular legend, none of them were mentioned in Ripley’s Believe it or Not.

Cuartels Under Construction (1925)

Cuartels Under Construction (1925)

Cuartels Aerial View

Cuartels Aerial View