Fort Benning website welcome banner and header

Fort Benning Historic Trail

Historical Site 19. Campbell King
Horse Show Bowl
North end of Spangler Street
Built 1930

Campbell King Horse Bowl

The Campbell King Horse Show Bowl was built in 1930 and operated primarily through the 1930s and ‘40s, when horse sportsmanship was popular. It is built adjacent to the old Infantry School corrals and stables in an area with folding terrain that accommodates raised seating on opposite sides of a center arena.   The defining features are the stone walls that form the central arena and the terraced seating.

During the height of its use, there were regular competitions of horse jumping, riding, for all ages and skill levels.  It was also used for Easter Sunrise services, in which thousands would attend.  The era of the Army horse died at Fort Benning in 1947, when the government horses were auctioned off.  Only privately owned horses remained, so use was greatly reduced.  Eventually the Bowl fell into disuse, with only sporadic attempts to revive.  It is now undergoing a major renovation to restore it and add modern conveniences.  It was named after Brigadier General Campbell King, an early Fort Benning Commander who was an avid horseman.

Campbell King Horse Bowl Photo 2

Campbell King Horse Bowl

Campbell King Horse Bowl (1938) Photo 2 Campbell King Horse Bowl (1946) Photo 1 Campbell King Horse Bowl (2015) Photo 1 Campbell King Horse Bowl Entrance (2015) Photo 1 Campbell King Horse Bowl (2015) Photo 1