Fort Benning website welcome banner and header

Fort Benning Historic Trail

Historical Site 32. George S. Patton Quarters

Old picture of Patch School

The quarters at 601 Baltzell Ave. was occupied in 1940 and 1941 by COL / BG George S. Patton, Jr. when he was stationed here as the Commanding General of the 2nd Armored Division. (He was promoted while residing there) He and his wife moved from this residence in 1941 when the cantonment area for the 2nd Armored Division was completed in Sand Hill.  Contrary to popular legend, he did not personally fund his quarters to be built on Sand Hill.  Quarters were built there for him and all other officers by the same government contract which built the rest of the 2ND Armored Division cantonment area.