Fort Benning website welcome banner and header

Fort Benning Historic Trail

Historical Site 37. Site of the Catholic Chapel
Bldg 1681.
SW Corner of Vibbert and Sigerfoos.
1941 – 2002

Old picture of Patch School

The Catholic Chapel was constructed in November, 1941.  It was a standard WWII military chapel, made of wood, 87’ X 37’ in size.  It held 250 people.  A 1960s addition added a wing to each side, nearly doubling its size.  This increased the capacity by 100 people.  In later years, a fund drive was held to add stained glass windows. The chapel was home to the Saint Maurice Parish: the name chosen by the Fort Benning Catholic community to honor the Patron Saint of the Infantry.  The location was prominent at the time – next to it were the Post Headquarters (Building 5): the Main Post entrance; and the Infantry Chapel. On January 12, 2002 it was destroyed by a fire caused by faulty electrical wiring.  Seating and interpretive sign was installed on the vacant site of the chapel by a prospective Eagle Scout in 2014.