Logistics Readiness Center (LRC)

Official Travel | Transportation Division

Transportation External SOP
(Click here to view) (AKO/CAC Login Required)

Passenger Services

Main Post
Building 35, Room 300
35 Ridgway Loop
Fort Benning, GA 31905
0800-1600 M-F
Office: (706) 545-7723

Sand Hill
Bldg 3254, 11th Airborne Division Road
0800-1600 M-F
Phone: (706)544-8726
Fax: (706)544-0716
This location provides soldiers with transportation as scheduled by their units.

The Official Travel Section coordinates the movement of individuals and groups who are conducting official travel by means of commercial and military conveyance (i.e. bus, commercial and military chartered civilian aircraft). In addition, the office provides Official Passport and Visa services.

Commercial Travel Office

  • Carlson Wagonlit Travel | Main Post, Soldiers Plaza
  • Bldg. 2628 Collins Loop, Soldiers Plaza
  • Office: (800)-235-8636

No-Fee Passports | Transportation Division


Who? All children applicants and both parents must appear for appointment. Passport Agents can be reached at (706) 545-1223 and (706) 545-3644.

What? Processing time for all passports is 6 to 8 Weeks. You will need the following documents:

  1. Form DD 1056
    1. For Active Duty Service Members, your AG Officer will furnish you this document: Bldg 2609.
    2. DOD Civilians needing a DD1056, go to the CPO Office, bldg: 6, Room 134, or you may call (706) 545-2726.
  2. Form DS 11 - Must be completed online. Website address to apply for a “No-Fee” Passport is www.travel.state.gov. Click on “Application and Forms” in the center of the page, and use the wizard to complete the DS 11. Once completed correctly, a bar code should appear in the upper left hand corner of the form. Print it out.
  3. Passport Photo
    1. Photo Lab – Training Support Center, 3020 2nd Inf. Div. Rd/Johnston Dr. ; Thursday morning hours 0730 – 1130, telephone (706) 545-1381.
    2. Two are needed for passport application (size 2” x 2”).
    3. If Visa is also needed, you will need two additional photos.
    4. Applicants must have a shirt or blouse with collar and buttons down the front. NO shirts with logos, stripes, plaid, or plain white shirts can be worn.
  4. Active Duty Personnel will need a copy of orders stating that you are authorized for a No-Fee Passport.
  5. Birth Evidence
    1. State Certified Birth Certificate, old U.S. Passport, certificate of Citizenship, or certificate of Naturalization & Marriage License (original documents).
    2. If you do not have a birth certificate or old passport, you should request a certified copy of the birth certificate from the Bureau of Vital Statistics in the state in which you were born, or by calling 1-800-255-2414.
  6. Social Security Card
  7. Picture Identification

Where? Bldg 35, Rm 300, 35 Ridgway Loop, Personnel Movements Section.

When? Applications will be taken by: appointment only!!!

How? Take required documents to the Bldg 35, Rm 300, 35 Ridgway Loop, Personnel Movements Section.

Passports & FAQ's | Transportation Division

QUESTION: When can I apply for a passport?

ANSWER: Once the sponsor has been identified by levy for an assignment. Note: Do not wait for the order.

QUESTION: What is needed to apply for a No-Fee passport?


  1. DD FORM 1056 – Authorization to Apply for a No-Fee Passport and/or Request for Visa.
    1. Typed and signed in blue ink by Authorizing Official.
    2. For all PCS, Dependents, and Service Members, this form is obtained from levy/AG Office.
    3. For TDY, the form is obtained from the unit’s S-2 section. We must have a signature card on file in the Transportation office.
    4. DoD Civilians needing a DD 1056, please visit the CPO office, Bldg 6, Room 134. Phone: (706) 545-7709.
    5. If the sponsor is already located overseas and has obtained command sponsorship, his/her overseas command can issue the DD Form 1056.
  2. DS-11 FORM (Application for Passport) - must be completed on line and printed out. Website address to apply for a No-Fee Passport, www.travel.state.gov click on Application and Forms; click on DS11; click on apply for Passport Book. Use the wizard to complete the DS11. If completed correctly, there should be a barcode in the upper left-hand corner of the DS11.
    1. Official Military ID Card (Preferred)
    2. Driver’s License (not temporary or learner’s permit)
  4. ACCEPTABLE EVIDENCE OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP – Any of the following may be used:
    1. A previous issue U.S. passport, current or expired.
    2. Original Certified Birth Record with a seal and file date (No hospital birth records, mother’s copy, notarized copies or abstract birth certificates).
    3. Original Consular Report of Birth certified with a seal.
    4. Original Naturalization Certificate.

QUESTION: Are all minor children required to be present when applying for passports?

ANSWER: Yes. As of February 1, 2004, Passport Services requires the personal appearance of all minors applying for U.S. passports.

QUESTION: How much does the passport cost?

ANSWER: Passport(s) are at no cost to DoD personnel or dependents when traveling on orders.

QUESTION: How long does it take to get a passport?

ANSWER: 4-8 work weeks is the required processing time. Do not expect your passport to be back until one week prior to the departure date listed on Block #14 of DD Form 1056. It is not necessary to call us to check the status of your passport; we will notify you when passport is received.

QUESTION: Can I call the Special Issuance Agency to check on the status of my passport?

ANSWER: No! Only installation passport agents are authorized to call. Status cannot be checked until 4 weeks after the passport application has been submitted.

back to top

QUESTION: Why should I use an Official/"No-Fee" Passport?

ANSWER: To follow DOS and DOD Directives; To avoid Customs/Immigration Entry/Exit Complications, deception means trouble and possible deportation from host country; To give you more protection and privileges in case of accident or other incident. A regular tourist passport cannot provide the same protection or privileges of an official passport; Travel tickets will not be issued without Official/ No Fee passport; To avoid departure fees from host country.

QUESTION: Can I travel on a tourist passport instead of a No-Fee official to an overseas location when on official orders?

ANSWER: No, absolutely not.

QUESTION: Where do I obtain passport photos?

ANSWER: Passport photos may be obtained from the Photo Lab (3020 2nd Inf. Div. Rd/Johnston Dr. ) on Thursday mornings between the hours of 0730-1130. Phone: (706) 545-1381.

QUESTION: What is acceptable attire for passport photographs?

ANSWER: Street attire is acceptable, uniforms must not be worn. Hats or headgear obscuring hairline, white shirts/blouses, halter tops and low cut blouses are all prohibited.

QUESTION: Can I use a photograph that is more than one year old?

ANSWER: No. The photograph must be taken within the last six months and must be a passport photo 2X2 in size.

QUESTION: Do I have to take an oath to get a passport?

ANSWER: Yes. The customer must swear to or affirm to the truthfulness and completeness of the statements made on the passport application (Form DS-11).

QUESTION: Do both biological or adoptive parents have to appear and give their consent for the issuance of a Passport to a minor under 16?

ANSWER: Yes. Both parents must appear together and sign or do the following:

  1. One parent appears, signs, and submits second parent's notarized statement of consent (Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14) authorizing passport issuance for the child, or a notarized written statement with the same information on a sheet of paper from the non-appearing parent that includes the child's name and date of birth, as well as a copy of the absent parent’s ID.
  2. One parent appears, signs, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply (such as one of the following):
    1. Child's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent; or
    2. =Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or
    3. Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order); or
    4. Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent); or
    5. Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child; or
    6. Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
    7. Death certificate of non-applying parent.
    8. NOTE: A third-party in loco parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16 must submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.

QUESTION: Does a previous passport prove a child’s parentage?

ANSWER: No. A previous passport only proves citizenship, and only has the child’s name, birth date and place of birth. It does not show the names of the parents. A long form birth certificate must be submitted for children 13 and under.

back to top

QUESTION: Can the parent sign the Form DS-11 for all dependents?

ANSWER: No. Dependents 14 years or older must appear in person to sign their own (DS-11) passport application.

QUESTION: My spouse/dependent is not a US citizen. What do I do?

ANSWER: Your dependent must have a valid passport from the country which they are a national of (i.e. a German national must have a valid passport from Germany). If your dependent are a National of the country to which you are being assigned, they will need their valid passport for that country. If they are not a National of the country to which you are being assigned, check with the passport office for that country’s Visa requirements.

QUESTION: Can a passport be expedited?

ANSWER: Yes, for DOD personnel only. Dependent passports cannot be expedited as they do not have a report date. The following are the requirements for request of expedite:

  1. Request for expedite service requires a General Officer or SES equivalent signature. Only authorized exception is a request initiated at an installation where no general officer or SES equivalent exists.
  2. Expedite letter must be in expedite format and must be on unit letterhead. Format may be obtained from Passport section.
  3. If passport is required in less than 30 days then orders and or a travel itinerary must be included with application.
  4. Visa's CANNOT be expedited.

QUESTION: How long does it take to obtain a visa?

ANSWER: The average time for a visa is 30 days.

QUESTION: When can a customer pick up the passport?

ANSWER: The passport may be picked up when it has come back from the SPECIAL ISSUANCE AGENCY in Washington D.C. and you have been notified. Active duty personnel may pick up passport without orders but must present photo ID. For dependents, the sponsor or spouse must present complete concurrent or dependent travel orders and photo I.D. when picking up passports. Passports will not be released from our office without concurrent or dependent travel orders.

QUESTION: If I leave the area, can the passport be mailed to my leave address?

ANSWER: Yes. You must provide us with concurrent travel orders, a stateside address and a contact telephone number and we (Transportation Office / Passport Sect.) will forward passports to you once received back from the Department of State. Please be sure to provide us with a good contact number, we must be able to contact you prior to mailing out passports. If we are unable to contact you we will keep your passports in our office until you contact us or passports expire.

QUESTION: How do I report a lost or stolen passport?

ANSWER: Submit form DS-64, “Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport,” to the nearest Passport Agency or, if abroad, the nearest American Embassy or Consulate. If stolen, the theft should be reported to the police authorities where the theft occurred.

QUESTION: Can tourist passport be obtained from Transportation?

ANSWER: No. Information on how to apply for a tourist passport can be obtained on-line at travel.state.gov/passport_services.html or by calling the local office at (706) 689-1696 located on 110 Vibbert Ave, Fort Benning, GA 31905.

QUESTION: Is a passport needed for travel to and from Alaska, Hawaii, or any of the U.S, territories?

ANSWER: For travel to and from Alaska, a passport is required for dependents. If traveling through Canada, the active duty member will travel on military ID card and travel orders. A passport is not required when a U.S. citizen is traveling directly between the United States, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa, already established forms of identification may be continued to be used to board flights and for entry.

back to top


Our Mission:
To provide logistical support to train, mobilize, deploy, support, sustain, and reconstitute forces.

Our Vision:
A professional, values-based organization committed to providing the most effective and innovative logistics support in the world... first in training support, force projection, and quality of life.

Key Functions:

  • Arm the Force
  • Feed the Force
  • Maintain the Force
  • Sustain the Force
  • Transport the Force

Helpful Links