Fort Benning

U.S. Army Fort Benning and The Maneuver Center of Excellence

Infantry Basic Officer Leader Course Site

Infantry Basic Officer Leader Course


Student Housing:

  1. Students have the option of living off post at a rented apartment / house or on post on Fort Benning. It is best to begin to coordinate for housing prior to arrival at IBOLC as there is limited time prior to beginning the course.
  2. The Automated Housing Referral Network ( is sponsored by the Department of Defense and is designed to improve the process of securing available housing for relocating military members and their families. This is a resource to help find rental homes and apartments. Click here.
  3. Link to the Fort Benning Housing Website for on post housing. Check with the housing department for availability and to see if you qualify for housing. Click Here.
  4. BAH for the most current housing rate. Click here.

In-Processing notes for attending IBOLC:

  1. Ensure you have the following documents for processing:
    1. Any existing finance records so that you can be correctly entered in the system. An example would be if you were commissioned through OCS and you have records from your enlisted service.
    2. Any existing personnel records which you would need to have entered into your officer records.
    3. Ensure you bring your DD Form 214, showing any prior service in order for us to get you paid as an 01E. For O1E pay, you must have 4 years and 1 day of prior enlisted service. If you have less than 4 years you will be paid as an O-1 with that many years in service.
    4. If you have Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders for Fort Benning, then you will be able to settle travel.
    5. You MUST have an SF 1199A (direct deposit form) from your bank before you arrive to Ft. Benning or a blank check from an open checking account.
    6. 30 copies of your assignment orders, commissioning orders, and all amendments or changes.
    7. If you are married and/or have children you must have original marriage certificates and birth certificates.
    8. All medical and dental records and a copy of your prescription if you wear glasses. (For yourself and dependents who accompany you.)
  2. The following section of this guide contains need-to-know information.
    1. Privately Owned Vehicles. You must have insurance to operate a vehicle on post. Ft. Benning does not require registration of Privately Owned Vehicles.
    2. Privately Owned Weapons. If you bring a Privately Owned Weapon (POW) and reside on post, it will have to be registered. Click here to review the Privately Owned Weapon Handbook. For the updated post regulations on POWs click here.
    3. Motorcycles. In addition to meeting the vehicle registration requirements found in TRADOC Regulation 385-2, 06 Dec 11, MCoE Regulation 210-5, 22 Feb 12, and AR 385-10, 4 Oct 11 all military personnel that will work, train, or reside on Fort Benning, or its subordinate installations, must meet the following requirements to operate a motorcycle on post. Click here to review the memorandum and checklist concerning the Commanding General's Motorcycle Safety Policy Implementation, 18 Oct 12.
    4. Cell Phone Usage. All vehicle operators driving on Fort Benning; active duty military personnel and reserve component on active federal service driving on or off Fort Benning; and all vehicle operators driving government Owned or leased vehicles on or off Fort Benning; are prohibited from using cellular phones while driving unless the vehicle is safely parted or unless they are using a hands-free device. The wearing of any other portable headphones, earphones, or other listening devices (except for hands-free cellular phones and hearing protection devices required to operate specific equipment) all vehicle operators, as identified above, is also prohibited. Click here to review memorandum on Prohibited Use of Cellular Phones and Other Listening Devices While Operating Motor Vehicles.
    5. Refractive Surgery (LASIK/PRK). If you have received refractive eye surgery prior to attending IBOLC, bring all supporting documentation from your doctor- this will be necessary to receive additional waivers for Ranger School and Airborne School. IBOLC will not authorize students to receive refractive eye surgery while assigned to IBOLC.
    6. Finalize Personal Matters. Lastly, you need to have all personal matters finalized prior to arrival, there is very little time here once training begins. Examples of this include scheduling extravagant trips, marriage, reunions, family outings etc before getting to Ft. Benning. Your schedule here can change and these types of significant commitments (both time wise and financial) can be directly affected by your training timeline.

Reserve Component In-Processing notes for attending IBOLC:

  1. The Special Assistant to the Commanding General -Reserve Component office (SACG) acts as the liaison for all Reserve Component (RC) soldiers at Fort Benning. During your first week at IBOLC you will receive briefings from the RC finance office and the SACG. For more information click here.
  2. While much of the information on this site is applicable to the Active Component (AC) and RC IBOLC students, there are a few items that need particular attention for the RC students.
    1. Ensure you have IBOLC orders in hand before departing your state.
      1. If you were commissioned through state OCS, ensure your commissioning paperwork is complete. Your state headquarters will publish your IBOLC orders. Make sure your rank is correct on your orders so that your ID card and military pay will be done correctly during in-processing week.
      2. If you are an ROTC commissioned (both ARNG and USAR), Human Resources Command-St Louis will publish your IBOLC orders.
      3. Officers who are scheduled to attend a follow-on school after completing IBOLC should have orders reflecting those courses. ARNG Officers who plan to attend the Ranger Course must first complete the ARNG Pre-Ranger Course. Additionally, you will need Ranger course orders before you will be given a Ranger physical.
    2. RC officers attending IBOLC are TDY and return; this is not a permanent change of station (PCS) move. As such, dependant (family member) travel to, and accompaniment at Fort Benning, GA is not authorized.
    3. Officers are advised to educate themselves about RC pay and entitlements. Information can be found at the DFAS website, Typically RC officers attending IBOLC, with less than 139 days of active duty, will receive BAH type II and should budget their finances accordingly.
  3. A link to this office and our other ARNG activities at Fort Benning, GA is: